… while reviewing and editing photographs, these two from yesterday:
… i was outside fussing with the installation of a roof rack on our new car when i heard a bunch of distant squawking overhead… i looked up and there were all these birds milling about squawking at each other… ravens i think…
… i was eight years old when this cornerstone was laid… i was curious about what happened during that year… it turns out, quite a lot:
- The March on Washington for civil rights. Martin Luther King gave his I Have a Dream speech.
- US involvement in Vietnam escalates
- There is a coup in Iraq bringing the Ba’ath party to power.
- Valentina Tereshkova became the first woman to fly into space.
- Thich Quang Duc self immolated on the streets of Saigon to protest the treatment of Buddhists in South Vietnam.
- Vivian Malone and James Hood are enrolled at the University of Alabama after a standoff with then Governor George Wallace.
- Medgar Evers was shot and killed outside his home in Jackson Mississippi by Byron De La Beckwith, a member of the White Citizens’ Council.
- An explosion struck the 16th street Baptist Church, killing four girls and injuring 22 others, in Birmingham, Alabama.
- John F. Kennedy was assassinated.
… there is more in this Atlantic Magazine Article…